"The goal is to become the unique, awesome, never to be repeated human being that we were called to be." -Patricia Deegan

Thursday, April 19, 2012

How to Get a 10 Second 5k PB

Okay, this might only work for 43 year old redheads who love motorcycles. So, if you're one of those, give it a try....

Tonight, I hit the track again for a 5,000 mtr race. It's time to put the pressure on the foot (punny, eh?). I have to do the speedwork for TNF100, if I'm going to be on the start line in 4 weeks. If the foot doesn't cope, I'll DNS the race and try aiming for Sri Chinmoy 24hr in June.

Somehow, still 3kg heavier than last year's competition weight, I set a 10
second PB in the race! It just hardly computes, unless all my new weight is muscle?? My PB was set last year at the WA State Masters championships (photo), when I ran 20.32.

So, what's the secret recipe?

(1) The night before, run a very fast 15km hill run in the dark
(2) Eat Indian food for dinner
(3) Go to physio in the morning
(4) Go to chiro in the arvo
(5) Take a shot of Beet It
(6) Take caffeine
(7) Put on favourite red Inov-8 f-lite 195s
(8) Remind yourself whilst racing that you drove an hour through peak traffic to get there and running this hard sucks and there's no way you're leaving without a PB.

I'm going to need to find a few more secrets, yet, to get down to 20 minutes.... Suggestions welcome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment