"The goal is to become the unique, awesome, never to be repeated human being that we were called to be." -Patricia Deegan

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Chocolate Goodness Bars

Just getting ready for my trail run tomorrow and making some "choco goodness." So I thought it was time to share this recipe, which came to me via a Canadian Trailtrash ultrarunner. I get the most requests for this one and it's really easy (Well, I can still mess it up, but that's just me! One hint: don't use the Nestle stuff called compound chocolate - it's not the same as chocolate chips at all!)

Mix 1 & 3/4 cups of nuts and seeds in a bowl - you can include as you like - pumpkin, sesame, walnut, pecan, sunflower...just don't forget the chia!

Add 1 & 1/4 cups shredded unsweetened coconut and 1 cup oats to the dry stuff.

In a small saucepan, bring the following to a low boil for 2-3 mins:
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 & 1/2 cups (I use a 250 g bag) of chocolate chips (I use dark chocolate)
1/4 to 1/2 cup of honey or agave nectar
1/2 cup almond butter (or peanut butter if you prefer)
1 tsp of vanilla extract

Grease a 9x13 inch pan with coconut oil. Mix the wet and dry stuff together and press firmly into the pan. Let cool before trying to slice.

Now, after two energy dense "recovery" recipes, I'll have to do a low GI dinner one next - just so you know I don't always eat like this :)

No comments:

Post a Comment